What is HTTP?
- HTTP is the protocol behind the World Wide Web.
- With nearly every web transaction, HTTP is invoked.
- The HTTP is a text based protocol, which means that all transferred data to the server as from the server is text based on a coding type (ex. UTF-8)..
Included in the URL (Uniform Resource Locator) to reach a internet page .
By understanding how HTTP works, you'll be able to:
- Manually query web servers and receive low-level information that typical web browsers hide from the user.
- With this information, you can better understand the configuration and capabilities of a particular server.
- You can better debug configuration errors with the server.
- Understand programming errors in programs invoked by the web server.
- Understand the interaction between web clients (browsers, robots, search engines, etc.) and web servers.
- Streamline web services to make better use of the protocol.